ICC slams ‘disrespectful’ West Indies

first_imgDUBAI, United Arab Emirates (CMC):Cricket’s governing body, the International Cricket Council (ICC), blasted the West Indies cricket team for the behaviour of some of its players following the final of the Twenty20 World Cup in India earlier this month.In an unusual step yesterday, the ICC labelled the players’ behaviour as “inappropriate and disrespectful” and argued that it “brought the event into disrepute”.In a statement following a meeting of its board over the weekend, the ICC said it had even given “serious consideration” to bringing sanctions against the players.INAPPROPRIATE”The board considered the behaviour of some of the West Indies players in the immediate aftermath of the final and unanimously agreed that certain comments and actions were inappropriate, disrespectful, and brought the event into disrepute,” the governing body said.”The board acknowledged an apology by the WICB but was disappointed to note that such behaviour had detracted from the success of what was otherwise a magnificent tournament and final.”West Indies beat England by four wickets in a dramatic final over in Kolkata to win their second Twenty20 World Cup, following their triumph four years ago in Sri Lanka.Many of the Caribbean players celebrated wildly afterwards, with some removing their shirts as they danced in delight.West Indies captain Darren Sammy also stunned many by openly criticising the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) during the official post-game interview and highlighting the players’ ongoing pay dispute, which had marred the build-up to the tournament.Man-of-the-Match Marlon Samuels was also fined for his verbal tirade against bowler Ben Stokes during the final over of the game.While not specifying exactly what behaviour the ICC found offensive, the ICC chairman, Shashank Manohar, said the Windies players actions were not “acceptable conduct” for ICC events.”The sport of cricket is proud of its unique spirit and this involves being gracious in victory as well as defeat and respectful at all times to the game, one’s opponents, the sponsors and the fans,” Manohar said.”The Board also noted that very serious consideration had been given to bringing Code of Conduct charges in respect of the behaviour of the West Indies players and emphasised that this was not acceptable conduct at ICC events played out on a world stage in front of millions of people around the globe.”Following Sammy’s interview, WICB president Dave Cameron also tendered an apology for what the board deemed to be his “inappropriate” comments and promised to investigate.last_img read more

Syria force evacuates women children from IS holdout

first_imgA member of the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) carries a baby followed by the mother who cries and asks for help after leaving the Islamic State (IS) group`s last holdout of Baghouz, in Syria`s northern Deir Ezzor province, on 22 February. Photo: AFPUS-backed fighters trucked out civilians from the last speck of the Islamic State group’s dying “caliphate” in Syria on Friday, eager to press on with the battle to crush the jihadists.More than four years after IS overran large parts of Syria and neighbouring Iraq, and declared a “caliphate”, they have lost all of it but a tiny patch in the village of Baghouz near the Iraqi border.More than 40 trucks carrying men, women and children left the enclave on Friday, AFP correspondents at a position of the US-backed Syrian Democratic Forces outside the village reported.Most were women and children, their clothes caked in dust, but the passengers also included men with their faces wrapped in chequered scarves.Women clung to the railings of the trucks, while the hair of younger girls blew in the wind, as they left the enclave in the second such large-scale evacuation in three days.On the back of one of the trucks, three men covered their faces with their hands, apparently not to be caught on camera.Asked what the situation was like inside IS’s last scrap of territory, a young man replied: “Not good”.On the roof of one of the trucks, an old man with a thick white beard wearing a red and white checkered scarf on his head yelled down: “There is an ill man with us.”SDF spokesman Adnan Afrin said more than 2,000 people were estimated to still be inside the pocket, and more trucks were expected to bring them out.War or surrenderOnce the evacuations have ended, the jihadists will have to decide whether to continue defending the less than half a square kilometre (a fifth of a square mile) they still hold, he said.”They will be faced with a choice: war or surrender,” Afrin said.Earlier on Friday, SDF spokesman Mustefa Bali said he hoped civilian evacuations could be completed by Saturday.The Kurdish-led SDF evacuated 3,000 people on Wednesday — mostly women and children — but trucks left near empty on Thursday.Bali said that screenings had determined most of those evacuated on Wednesday were foreigners.”The majority are Iraqi and from countries of the former Soviet Union, but there are also Europeans,” he said.David Eubank, the leader of the Free Burma Rangers aid group, said they included “many French women”, as well as others from Australia, Austria, Germany and Russia, and one woman from Britain.Human Rights Watch urged the SDF and the US-led coalition supporting it to make protecting civilians a priority.”Witnesses described harrowing conditions in the last months, with lack of food and aid forcing them to eat grass and weeds to survive,” it said.Around 44,000 people — mostly civilians — have streamed out of IS’s shrinking patch territory since early December, according to the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.Once the SDF have weeded out potential jihadists from each batch of new arrivals, civilians are trucked further north to Kurdish-run camps for the displaced.They arrive “extremely hungry and dehydrated” and many of them require urgent medical care, the International Rescue Committee said.The IRC said 69 people, mostly children, had died on the way to the Al-Hol camp or shortly after arriving in the past few weeks.”Two thirds of the deaths are of babies under one year old,” it said, including one who died Friday during the six-hour drive.- US ‘peacekeepers’ -The battle for Baghouz is now the only live front in Syria’s war, which has killed more than 360,000 people and displaced millions since 2011.Any SDF victory would accelerate a planned withdrawal of American troops from Syria announced in December by US President Donald Trump.Syria’s Kurds have expressed fear that a full pullout would leave them exposed to a long threatened attack by neighbouring Turkey.But the White House said Thursday the US military will keep “a small peacekeeping group of about 200” in Syria after the withdrawal.The Kurdish authorities in northeast Syria welcomed the move.It is “very important to maintain stability and protect our region from the Turkish threats, and ensure that terrorism will not be back,” foreign affairs official Abdulkarim Omar said.IS once imposed its brutal ideology on an area roughly the size of the United Kingdom, attracting thousands from abroad.But some of those foreigners have been killed, while the SDF holds hundreds more.The Kurds have repeatedly urged their governments to take them back, largely without success.Syria’s Kurds have requested their repatriation, but foreign governments have been reluctant.On Thursday, the father of Hoda Muthana, 24, sued to bring her home after the Trump administration declared she was not a US citizen.Shamima Begum, 19, faced being left stateless after Britain revoked her citizenship, and Bangladesh, where her parents are from, said it not want her.Beyond Baghouz, IS retains a presence in the vast Syrian desert, and continues to claim deadly attacks in SDF-held territory.last_img

Sunwing comes back to SeptÎles with Cancun flights

first_img Thursday, August 3, 2017 Share Travelweek Group Sunwing comes back to Sept-Îles with Cancun flights TORONTO — Sunwing’s winter sun service from Sept-Îles, Quebec to Cancun will run Wednesdays from Dec. 13, 2017 to April 11, 2018 inclusive. Sunwing is the only leisure carrier to offer vacation packages departing directly from the Quebec gateway. “We are very pleased to be returning to Sept-Îles this winter to offer sunshine flights to one of our most popular vacation destinations,” said Executive Vice-President of Sunwing Vacations Quebec, Sam Char.One of Cancun’s newest accommodation options, Riu Dunamar, is slated to open later this year. The resort is expected to combine an idyllic setting on Playa Mujeres beach with an array of amenities including the free RiuLand Kids Club.Another popular choice, Viva Wyndham Azteca, offers specialty restaurants, an on-site spa and the Viva Kid’s club.center_img Posted by Tags: Sunwing << Previous PostNext Post >>last_img read more