Approach to T20Is has to change, Sourav Ganguly advises MS Dhoni

first_imgFormer India captain Sourav Ganguly today advised the under-fire World Cup winning skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni to approach the Twenty20 Internationals “differently”.A few former India cricketers, including Ajit Agarkar and VVS Laxman, recently raised questions about Dhoni’s T20 future, creating a storm in the country’s cricketing circles.”His record in T20I is not that good compared to ODIs. Hope Kohli and team management will speak to him separately. He has immense ability. If he approaches T20Is differently, then he will be successful,” said Ganguly.Chasing 197 in second T20 versus New Zealand in Rajkot, India were struggling at 97 for four when Dhoni joined skipper Virat Kohli and found it difficult to get going. Eventually India lost the match.Ganguly, however, feels Dhoni has a lot of cricket left in him, especially in the One-Dayers.”Definitely not for One-Dayers. I think he should keep playing One-Day cricket but he has to play differently in T20Is. He has to play T20Is freely. It depends on the selectors and how they would like to play him,” Ganguly said here on the sidelines of a TV shoot.Ganguly expressed surprise at India opting to rest all-rounder Hardik Pandya for the upcoming Test series.”I’m surprised. I don’t know if he’s injured. He has played only three Tests… This is the age to play. I don’t know the exact reason. Hope he’s fit.”India won’t play with three spinners, definitely not at the Eden Gardens as the pitch here is different. They will play with two spinners and now since they don’t have Hardik Pandya they may have a different combination for the all-rounders slot.”advertisementGanguly hoped Sri Lanka would give India fight after their confidence-boosting 2-0 win over Pakistan in the Test series last month.”Of course India are the favourites. They are a much better side than Sri Lanka. Recently they won in Sri Lanka across all formats.”I hope it won’t be a one-sided series. The recent (limited overs) series against New Zealand was competitive. Hope Sri Lanka will play well,” he said.last_img read more

North American stock indexes stumble as loonie hits 6week high

first_imgTORONTO – Mining stocks and financials weighed on Canada’s main stock index Tuesday as U.S. markets also fell into the red, while the Canadian dollar gained ground.The S&P/TSX composite index was down 53.35 points to 15,915.68 in a broad-based decline that included the materials, gold and base metals sectors.In commodities, the February gold contract fell US$12.80 to US$1,264.90 an ounce and the March copper contract was down 14 cents to US$2.95 a pound.It was also a negative day for financial institutions, as the Bank of Montreal (TSX:BMO) wrapped up the big banks’ earnings season Tuesday with a drop in profits, which were hit by reinsurance claims related to hurricanes Irma, Maria and Harvey during the quarter ended Oct. 31. The Canadian lender’s net income slipped to $1.23 billion, down from $1.35 billion during the same period a year earlier.Canada’s other big banks also saw losses, including Toronto-Dominion Bank (TSX:TD), which was down 1.32 per cent, and Bank of Nova Scotia (TSX:BNS), which was down 0.59 per cent.“The banks are all a little weak today but if you look at the operating results the banks have reported we have seen fairly strong results from the vast majority of the banks,” said Colum McKinley, vice-president and portfolio manager of Canadian equities at CIBC Asset Management Inc.“And despite some concerns people have had about the Canadian economy and about housing and the effect that would have on the Canadian banks, we’ve seen fairly good results out of their underlying businesses so we continue to be encouraged by the results that we see being reported.”The energy sector was the lone bright spot among major sectors on the TSX, as the price of oil recovered modestly after a sharp drop on Monday. The January crude contract advanced 15 cents to US$57.62 per barrel.Elsewhere in commodities, the January natural gas contract retreated seven cents to US$2.91 per mmBTU.“There is a bit of a divergence in the energy space,” McKinley noted. “There continues to be a near-term challenge on getting gas to markets effectively and concerns about growing oversupply. And so we’re likely to see that weigh on these stocks in the coming months and quarters.”South of the border, Wall Street fell into the red after a recovery for technology stocks lost ground. Telecom stocks, utilities and industrial companies had the market’s sharpest losses.In New York, the Dow Jones industrial average tumbled 109.41 points to 24,180.64. The S&P 500 index edged down 9.87 points to 2,629.57 and the Nasdaq composite index gave back 13.16 points to 6,762.21.Tech stocks began stumbling last week as expectations ramped up for Washington to push through an overhaul of the tax system. Technology companies already pay some of the lowest effective tax rates of companies in the S&P 500, so they have less to gain from the proposal.In currency markets, the Canadian dollar closed at an average trading value of 78.86 cents US, up 0.09 of a U.S. cent, ahead of Wednesday’s Bank of Canada interest rate announcement.That’s the highest level for the loonie in six weeks when it closed at an average trading price of $78.95 cents US on Oct. 24.– With a file from The Associated Press.Note to readers: CORRECTS TSX closing numberslast_img read more

Temporary and extreme weather response shelters open in BC

first_imgVICTORIA B.C. – The Government of B.C. is opening additional shelter spaces across the province for people experiencing homelessness so they have a safe and warm place to stay.Partnering with municipalities and non-profits in approx 65 communities, the Province is providing more than 1,400 temporary shelter spaces which will be open every night and offering meals.Fort St. John is the only community in Northeast B.C. that will receive part of this funding. A total of 26 spaces will be available a the Fort St. John Salvation Army building on 99 avenue. 750 extreme weather response shelters are available from Nov. 1, 2018, to March 31st, 2019. These shelters only open at the discretion of the community depending on weather conditions and how many spaces to make available depending on the capacity of the existing shelters and need.Selina Robinson, Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing says “Temporary and extreme weather shelters are crucial to ensuring the health and safety of people living on the street and getting them out of the cold and wet weather,”. She goes on to say, “These shelters not only have the potential to save lives – they also assist people in accessing the support and services they need to achieve housing stability.”Both the temporary and extreme weather shelter spaces add to the almost 2,000 permanent year-round spaces throughout B.C. There is room to add more of these shelters if needed.Learn More:To learn more about the Province’s emergency shelter program, visit: www.bchousing.org/housing-assistance/homelessness-services/emergency-shelter-programTo see a map of permanent and temporary shelters in B.C., visit: www.bchousing.org/Options/Emergency_Housing/Maplast_img read more

IMPROVING OVER TIME

first_imgMy son is in Class IX and suffers from mathematics phobia. Please suggest.Mrs. T. Sinha, Kolkata The problem your son is suffering from is very common among students. In our traditional mathematics classrooms, the subject poses a nightmare for those who have a slower grasping capacity. But mathematics can get really interesting with proper tutoring. What is fun is easy to learn. Online mathematics games, mental maths puzzles and introducing your son to the examples of day-to-day use of mathematics in the practical world can create a whole new excitement about the subject. Encourage him to spend more time with the subject and do not criticise wrong answers. Rather, emphasise on the process of solving the math problems. Changing his mindset towards mathematics no longer being a subject to be scared of and reassuring him that he too can be ‘good in maths’ can actually do wonders that might even surprise you. Good Luck! Also Read – Feel what you fearMy son is 19 years old and 5.2″ feet tall. He suffers from severe inferiority complex. What can we do? S. Pathak, New Delhi Napoleon complex or the short man syndrome hits the hardest at the age that your son is in. One way to deal with the complex is to break it down. Please help him understand that everyone on Earth is inferior to someone in some way and superior to someone in some other way. Moreover, he will be really surprised to know that the health benefits of being shorter weigh far more than its disadvantages. And as far as looks are concerned, there is much more to a man’s attributes of being tall, that can actually make him look charming and coveted in today’s world. Moreover, your son is only 19, so it can be possible to increase height up to the age of 21 years through healthy diet, regular exercise and swimming. All the very best. Also Read – Homecoming I am newly married. My husband is always travelling. I feel very depressed and lonely. M. Kanak, Noida I can understand how hard it can be for a newly married couple to stay away from each other. But in today’s economy, sometimes travelling becomes a necessity to keep a job. So, in order to cope with the ‘being away from each other’ syndrome make it a point to stay connected on calls and internet. Reinforce your commitment and trustworthiness towards each other by staying connected. Distance makes the heart grow fonder. When he is not around, you can focus on doing something that you enjoy doing. May be learn something new. Feel lucky that he is not stationed away from you or working for the military. Have some ‘me-time’ and spend your time finishing all the boring work and save your best moments to enjoy when he returns. Best wishes for the love birds. I love my husband and we dated for four years before marriage. Off late he is becoming very unromantic. What can I do? Name withheld During the courtship period, lovers put their best foot forward. But post a few years of marriage, partners usually start taking things for granted. That is where the problem creeps in. If you find your husband being unromantic, try finding ways to seduce him. Go for candlelit dinners, movies or even indulge in a long vacation together to a romantic place where there is no external interference. Try to figure out what he expects from you. Sometimes if a woman is very bossy in a marriage, the husband shuns from being himself. I would suggest you communicate with him clearly about your wants and walk towards an amicable solution. All the best! (Send your questions to [email protected])last_img read more

NEW BEGINNING FOR QUALITY FOOD CENTER

first_img Row over Grand Turk infrastructure reaches fever pitch in Parliament Related Items:Opening, premier rufus ewing, quality food center Recommended for you Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, 09 Oct 2014 – Premier Rufus Ewing cuts the ribbon and assists in hoisting the Turks and Caicos Flag at the new grocery store located in Cheshire Hall. A tour with the entertaining Obrien Forbes, prizes and giveaways, shopping and congratulatory remarks plus rhythmic junkanoo peppered the opening ceremony tonight.The store is now open with a grocery sale this weekend! Beaches puts former Premier on blast about controversial pier Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Bishop says peace & prosperity is everybody’s responsibility at Law Enforcers Church Servicelast_img read more

Massive volunteer effort at Del Mar brings supplies to more than 800

first_img , Posted: December 8, 2017 Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsDEL MAR (KUSI) — A massive volunteer effort was underway at the Del Mar Fairgrounds Friday to care for more than 800 horses and other large animals evacuated from the Lilac Fire in northern San Diego County.The blaze, which broke out along Interstate 15 Thursday morning, tore through equine country in Bonsall and heavily damaged the San Luis Rey Training Center, where hundreds of horses, including thoroughbreds, are stabled.While most were rescued from the advancing flames, roughly two dozen horses perished and a female trainer was in a medically induced coma after suffering serious burn injuries, according to multiple reports. Supplies are pouring in. Clothes and donations are most needed for continued support @DMFairgrounds. #LilacFire Donate Here: https://t.co/j2wxBSx3nG pic.twitter.com/IehrDu68h7— Del Mar Racetrack (@DelMarRacing) December 8, 2017At Del Mar, broadcast video showed numerous volunteers responding to the need for help while others brought items needed to care for the animals. Among the donations, Costco provided hundreds of pounds of apples and carrots for the horses, according to Twitter.Among the most needed items are muck buckets and pitchforks; shavings; feed, alfalfa, timothy and Bermuda; lead ropes and halters; blankets; and hooks and clips, according to the Del Mar Thoroughbred Club. The club said air mattresses, clothes, toiletries, gloves, and blankets and bedding are needed for stable workers.Related Link: At least 25 horses killed as Lilac Fire spreads through North CountyThe horses are being kept in more than 40 barns in the backstretch of the racetrack, which can hold 1,600 of them.The thoroughbred club, which operates the two annual horse racing seasons at Del Mar, joined Santa Anita Park and The Stronach Group, owners of San Luis Rey Downs, in establishing a GoFundMe account to aid those impacted by the fire at the training facility. It can be accessed at www.gofundme.com/thoroughbredcare.In just six hours, the account had raised more than $292,000.The American Association of Equine Practitioners also has a website for those wishing to donate toward relief, at www.foundation.aaep.org/disasterrelief.The California Horse Racing Board said individuals at San Luis Rey risked their lives by trying to free the horses from their stalls and herd them into the safer infield area and training track. One worker who documented his efforts on Facebook of trying to release horses at the center as the fire neared was being lauded on social media as a hero.Meanwhile, workers and volunteers at Del Mar and nearby ranches that had taken in horses from San Luis Rey were still working to identify some of the equines as some continued to search for missing horses and others made grim discoveries.LRF Racing Club, which lost its 2-year-old colt Oddsmaker, announced on Twitter that one of its 4-year-old fillies, Riri, was still “unaccounted for,” then later posted the bleak news that they had “lost a 2nd horse.” Massive volunteer effort at Del Mar brings supplies to more than 800 horses, other large animals evacuated by Lilac Fire Updated: 3:28 PM December 8, 2017 The horse community is uniting to support the horses and humans affected by the tragic fire at the San Luis Rey Training Center. Please help spread the word about donations and supplies needed!Donate HERE: https://t.co/q8o4LeUXEY #LilacFire pic.twitter.com/amjriXBolJ— Breeders’ Cup (@BreedersCup) December 8, 2017″She was tiny and mighty and we will miss her greatly,” LRF Racing Club wrote in the subsequent tweet, which thanked those who had “risked their lives for our horses.”An emotional Billy Koch, LRF’s founder and managing partner, told TVG that he “can’t stop shaking” and feels “so bad for the horses,” but said what picks him up are the volunteers helping with the evacuated horses and “all the heroes who saved all the horses that they could.””There were horses that were burned,” he said of San Luis Rey, which he called “a disaster.””Both of our horses that died, they weren’t burned, they just were panicked and had run and run and run, and ultimately just the vets were there and they were trying to save our horses and just couldn’t. It’s just horrible,” Koch told TVG. “There’s a lot of people out there who are really sad and I’m one of ’em.”Harris D. Auerbach initially tweeted that there was “still no word” on the whereabouts of the 4-year-old colt Puig after the blaze, then tweeted less than a half-hour later, “Unfortunately, Puig did not make it and perished in the Lilac Fire at San Luis Rey Downs. RIP handsome boy. I am completely gutted.”But Eclipse Thoroughbred Partners’ missing filly, Onassis, turned up at Del Mar on Thursday night.Eclipse’s president, Aron Wellman, posted his own first-hand account online of finding the filly after he headed to Del Mar to help the equine evacuees and “resigned myself to refraining from the selfish mission of finding the one horse Eclipse had stabled at San Luis Rey to simply being a small part of contributing to the greater good.”” … I was overcome with emotion and wrapped my arms around her sweaty, hot, veiny and pulsating neck, and draped my body onto her shoulder,” Wellman wrote in the posting on Eclipse Thoroughbred’s website about finding her at Del Mar. “In an almost surreal turn of events, Onassis was there for me. She was reassuring me. She was comforting me. A 2-year-old filly who had been through hell and back and seen and lived pure horror was consoling me.”He wrote that “there were tears of joy aplenty as trainers, owners and workers were reunited with their horses who could be identified … and, there were tears of sorrow as sad reports trickled in from 1st-hand sources.”Also found was Rockingham Ranch’s Richard’s Boy, which placed second in the Breeders’ Cup Turf Sprint at Del Mar last month.”I’m just overwhelmed with gratitude for all the volunteers who are at Del Mar right now and to the amazing @Twitter horse community who has helped get the message out. I’m so (grateful) for all of you,” Rockingham manager Brian Trump said on Twitter.last_img read more

Kenai Chamber Pens Resolution Supporting Nikiski As LNG Site

first_imgThe resolution states: “It is the mission of the Kenai Chamber of Commerce and Visitor Center (KCCVC) to promote economic development, stimulate job growth, provide initiatives to promote local businesses and foster positive relations between business and community for the benefit of Kenai.” Facebook0TwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享The Kenai Peninsula is all hands on deck as another organization announced their support for Nikiski as the prefered site for the proposed LNG plant and marine terminal. The Kenai Peninsula Borough Assembly, and the City of Kenai passed similar resolutions. The City of Soldotna also joined by passing one at their meeting on Wednesday. The Kenai Chamber of Commerce signed a resolution on Wednesday supporting Nikiski as the site location. The resolution was signed by Board Chairman Karl Heinz and Board Secretary Penny Furnish. The Federal Energy Regulatory Commision is preparing the draft environmental impact statement (EIS) which will consider alternatives for multiple aspects of the project, including the location of the LNG plant and marine terminal.last_img read more